T-34/122 What If

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Bryan Krueger
Senior Site Contributor.....

T-34/122 What If

Post by Bryan Krueger »

I've have been working on this project on and off for most of the year. In 1941, the Russian engineers were coming up with all sorts of ideas to mount heavier guns on various chassis. One of these projects was fitting a 122mm u-11 into a slightly larger T-34 turret. The project never made it past the drawing stage. < Link >

I've been building a lot of T-34s lately yet building another /76 or /85 seemed kinda dull so I decided to tackle the T-34/122 as a what-if based on a /85 hull.

I received the partially started Dragon /85 from Alex Zarester. He had grown bored of the project and let me have it for the cost of postage. He had taken care of most of the tedious stuff so I focused on the more interesting items.

The first thing I did was to find a scale drawing I could work from, bring that into a 3D CAD program (part of my day job) and convert the drawings into a 3D CAD model.

I had the parts 3D printed by Billie Jean DeBekker. Cleanup was pretty minimal. Sorry for poor photo.

I actually went through a couple of rounds or parts for some of the smaller pieces.

And designed my own cast copula.

AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Re: T-34/122 What If

Post by Bryan Krueger »

To make things even more interesting, I wanted to add a mine roller to the front. You just don't see many of these built.

I was discussing the kit options for the mine roller (there aren't many) with Stephen Reid and found out about the long OOP MB Models resin and white metal conversion kit. He contacted his friend Chuck that hand built one in the past to ask pointers about the build and graciously gifted me the MB kit! I could not believe it. But after digging into the MB kit, I think Chuck just couldn't bring himself to tackle another one. It was rough! Giant casting lugs on the resin parts. Flash on every white metal part, plus there isn't a lot a reference available on these early mine rollers, so accuracy is questionable. But hey, it was a good foundation to start with and I'm thankful for this rare kit.

I rebuilt the "Y" frame from styrene as the resin one was way out of whack and added some missing details.

The T-34 was detailed with the Royal Model PE set. Tracks are Fruil. Fender stitch welds are Archer Fine Transfers welds.

Each cleat had a mold seam on all faces. I had to use small needle files to clean each one up. You think cleaning up plastic indy links are bad. Pfft! Sorry for blurry photo.

I still have a few minor things to clean up. The thing is such a fussy mess to handle with all the mine roller parts loose to help with painting later.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Great work Bryan! Looks even more outlandish with the mine roller attached :twisted:

I'm fairly certain Zvezda did the mine roller in plastic back in the days of dinosaurs and mammoths, but the resin kit is probably the better option anyway.

This turret is one of the more bizarre T-34 projects, even if it's only a Paper Танк - "hey guys, the 122 didn't work on the KV, how about we put it in a smaller tank instead?" :roll:

Here's a bit of background information on the KV and T-34 howitzer projects for all who have no idea what we're talking about. By the way, Trumpeter has just announced the KV-9. Can't wait to get one!

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Thanks! If I hadn't been given the MB kit I would have picked up the Zvezda PT-34. The clean-up might have been easier than this one. :lol:
Philipp Gross wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 19:18 By the way, Trumpeter has just announced the KV-9. Can't wait to get one!
And the KV-3. Curious how they handle the turret.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Let's hope they've seen this. I guess I should post it on their Facebook page, just to be sure :roll:

By the way....this one next? :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Necropost, ARISE!

I dusted this one off a couple of weeks ago and started painting.

AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I like the result of your necromancy :lol:

I can already tell this is going to look mighty fine :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Thanks. Weathering the mine roller wheels is going to be tricky and tedious.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

I think it is really super nice.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns: