Trumpeter HMS Abercrombie

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Steve Kubik

Re: Trumpeter HMS Abercrombie

Post by Steve Kubik »

It certainly has been a while since I"ve posted on this. I've had very little time available for the bench for several reasons. What little time I did find, I used to work on a base. At first, I was planning on using styrofoam, but the only kind I could find did not cut very well. Next I tried plaster of paris. That looked hopeful, but I didn't like the way it turned out.

I was just about to cut the bottom off and make a waterline model, when I found balsa foam in the arts and craft store. I glued two pieces together to get the right length. Next, I traced out the hull shape and cut out the section for the model. THen painted the surface dark blue.

Here's Abercrombie inserted in the cutout. I also started to use Liquitex Gloss Gel for the wake. That will be a trial and error, as I've never used the stuff before.

Now, I've got determine how I"m going to paint the ship. I went too far in the build to paint individual assemblies. More trial and error.
Steve Kubik

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Very nice progress Steve! I'm always happy for some advice on how to make convincing water...

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Kubik

Post by Steve Kubik »

Philipp Gross wrote: 11 May 2018, 02:45 Very nice progress Steve! I'm always happy for some advice on how to make convincing water...

Philipp
Me, too.

Talk about convincing water, check this out.

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/mo ... artid=7715

And do a search for Kostas Katseas. I am trying to find out how this guy does this amazing water.
Steve Kubik

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks for the link! That's really impressive. I probably won't start a capital ship any time soon but I might try my luck with a Tauchpanzer.... :?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage