Dragon 1/35 IJN Type 2 Ka-Mi amphibious tank

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Dragon 1/35 IJN Type 2 Ka-Mi amphibious tank

Post by Adam Durrant »

So because of Covid we haven’t been spending a lot of time at our holiday house (call them a “Bach” or “Crib” here in NZ) so rediscovered this kit over the holidays in a cupboard. The kit just needs a few touches to finish the build. The main issue is the Dragon “Magic Tracks” have become very brittle and they just shatter when you touch them. I know they are styrene, but it’s almost like they have perished.

I thought about a set of Friul, and assume the Ha-Go tracks will be the same. Due to global supply issues they are out of stock with most hobby shops I use, and to ship direct from Friul is hideously expensive. Fat Frog (the bricks and mortar shop for HobbyEasy) does a set of 3D printed “clickable” links so I’ve ordered those.

On with primer…..one less Shelf Queen ;)
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I'm glad you've returned to this build, it's a fascinating little tank :D

A pity about those DS tracks, but that seems to be a common problem. Good thing you could find a replacement!

How's the COVID situation in NZ? In Europe nobody seems to bother any more, it seems we're finally at a point where it's no more troublesome than an average flu.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 12:22 How's the COVID situation in NZ? In Europe nobody seems to bother any more, it seems we're finally at a point where it's no more troublesome than an average flu.

Philipp
Still recording 10K cases per day but hospitalization numbers way down. We don’t have any travel restrictions, life as normal. Only place you have to mask is healthcare facilities such as hospitals (sensible really, that’s where the concentrations will be). If we get it we have to self isolate for 7 days. Staff shortages have the hospitals on the ropes, I’m not doing my usual volume of elective surgery, most of it is filled up with trauma. :?
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks for the overview Adam! It's pretty much the same like around here. Right now we're going through a wave of other respiratory viruses, with about 10% of the population being at home sick. Seems like everyone (me included) is now catching up on all the disesases previously prevented by COVID measures.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Adam Durrant wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 08:49 The main issue is the Dragon “Magic Tracks” have become very brittle and they just shatter when you touch them.
I know they are styrene, but it’s almost like they have perished.
Philipp Gross wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 12:22 A pity about those DS tracks, but that seems to be a common problem. Good thing you could find a replacement!
Philipp
Hi Adam
It is the DS and not the Magic tracks that have disintegrated?
Or is it the climatic conditions in your Dacha?
And
Yes, I am part of the 10% in the UK of influenza or other respiratory issues other than Covid.
its been 5 days and still no better.
I might actually get through to the Drs surgery before I am better, possibly!
Not had Covid but this is as bad as I have had it for the past 10 years, sinusitis, tonsillitis and UR infection.
Not much I can do other than cough and splutter,
Take care
Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Get well soon Steve....I'm at four weeks of coughing and sneezing so far, good luck you'll have it less severe!

DS was Dragon's receipe for vinyl-like tracks that could be glued with styrene cement. It worked fine in the beginning, but then apparently something went wrong with their supplier and they started to disintegrate by themselves all over the world.

I've never encountered the phenomenon myself so far - I guess if they are still good after 10+ years, they are safe? :?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Yeh, “DS” tracks. The material is so brittle it just falls apart touching it :(
Completed Campaigns:

Dan Reed

Post by Dan Reed »

Dragon makes their own set of plastic tracks for the kit.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cyber-h ... nk--410378

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks Dan, if my foray into 3D resin doesn’t work out I might hunt them down! :D
Completed Campaigns:

Dan Reed

Post by Dan Reed »

I built the kit years ago using these and I'd like to build another with the floats attached, but only if I could find these tracks again.