Hobby Boss 1/48 T-34-85 with full Interior

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Hobby Boss 1/48 T-34-85 with full Interior

Post by Philipp Gross »

Hi all,

there's the reason I haven't been around much lately...

I've bought and started a Hobby Boss T-34-85 in 1/48 scale...with full interior! :o

Of course I wouldn't have started yet another kit in a completely different scale (ahem... :oops: ) if it weren't for a good reason...this one is going to become a birthday present for my father-in-law (not quite per law for lack of being married with my significant other but you get the idea... :lol: ).

He's something of a military enthusiast but not a modeller himself, and thanks to his service in the former East German army half a century ago he's quite fond of Soviet hardware. After quick consultation with my better half it was agreed that 1/35 would be slightly too large for her parent's living room, and thus I started my first quarter scale armour kit ever.

A long while ago Trumpeter released a series of 1/16 scale T-34s and it's obvious the research and drawings were applied to make this kit. The level of detail is very impressive, as is the overall fit and ease of assembly. Only a bit of flash on most parts, but nothing too serious. It comes with link&lenght tracks - and an engine cover with a photoetched grill embedded into the plastic as a single easy-to-use piece. I've never seen anything like this before! :shock:

Here's the tank with the lid off - naturally I should start painting before I glue everything together :lol:

Engine with some of the parts removed:

Turret and gun, ammo racks still missing, to be added when painted:

I'll be leaving all the hatches open, so hopefully at least some of the interior will be visible.

By the way: I need to finish everything until mid-November...wish me luck :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Swiftnbold

Re: Hobby Boss 1/48 T-34-85 with full Interior

Post by Swiftnbold »

Very interesting, I'm looking forward to this.
A full interior 1/48 sounds like a challenge!
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy"

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Vincent Power »

It's hard to believe this is only 1/48 considering the amount of detail crammed in there. Very impressive.
Good luck with the finishing date Philipp, you can do it. :D

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Swiftnbold

Post by Swiftnbold »

Is there an update on this Philipp?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy"

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I'm sorry I didn't blog this as extensively as I usually do, I really spent every free minute on the interior to get it finished in time :D

By pure coincidence I finished the interior yesterday and added all the remaining external details today, so here's the result:

As expected there's not much to see of the engine bay, but at least I know it's there :geek:

The turret interior....yes, I did paint every single shell by hand back there :lol:

The tracks are link&lenght and I hope they will behave themselves when I put them on. There were assembly jigs for the front and back parts included, which came in quite handy. I'm taking a bit of a risk here but I'll try to put them on as a single piece.

Next stop, exterior paint!

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Well done Philipp
The tracks should be OK, I have usually attached the wheels to the tracks too
Looks like the odds are in your favour
Keep up the rapid work with the AB
Regards
Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thank you Steve!

I made it over the finish line! I must admit I had to cut some corners, but I'm still impressed I came this far at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

The oil wash isn't even fully dry yet...hopefully it will be tomorrow. Underneath is my standard Tamiya NATO green basecoat with a bit of chipping. If time permits I'll add a few pigments tomorrow. The turret number is sprayed with Eduard stencils, 76 because it's for my FIL's 76th birthday :D It's even somewhat accurate, post-war NVA tanks carried simple turret numbers with 1, 2 or 3 digits.

The base is a picture frame with Tamiya's pressed cardboard cobblestone street. It's supposed to be 1/35 or even larger, but to me it looks fine for a 1/48 model as well.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Well done on making your deadline Philipp. :) The T-34 has come up very nicely indeed. I think your Father in Law will be impressed.

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Nice work Philipp, the cobblestone looks fine as 1/48
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks everyone :D

The gift was indeed well received and the T-34 now guards the living room shelf with the military books and the miniature warships :D

I must admit building and painting the interior wasn't as nightmarish as I always thought...I'm afraid this might just lead to a full interior 1/35 build at some point :shock: :? :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns: