Bronco 1/350 HMS Victorious S-29 SSBN

Anything that floats.
Justin Wooding

Bronco 1/350 HMS Victorious S-29 SSBN

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi chaps,

I have gone down an unforseen path in my modeling themes. I have had an urge to do some submarines. Where that urge came from will be revealed another day ;)

So i have obtained a couple of initial subjects for my foray into the depths (see what i did there :lol: ) into the world of submarines :D

My first attempt will be HMS Victorious from Bronco...

HMS Victorious is from the Vanguard class of SSBN submarines of which four are in service with the Royal Navy. SSBN being the acronym for Submersible Ship Ballistic Nuclear. In laymans terms, a nuclear powered submarine carrying ballistic missiles :P The other vessels in this class are Vanguard, Vengence and Vigilant.

Vanguard class boats have a weapons payload of 16 D.5 Trident multi warhead missiles. Each missiles has the ability to hold up to 12 warheads giving up to 192 warhead payload across all 16 missiles. Spearfish torpedoes with a range of up to 65km are carried for engaging surface targets. These are the largest ever built for the Royal Navy.

Anyway, onto the kit and the build :D

What's in the box? Not much really! Instructions, two hull halves, a small sprue, small photo etch, small decals and display base. Bronco seriously stuffed up with the size of the box, you could have a box half the size in width. It's so big, everything just rattles around. No packing at all. Pretty poor in my opinion, oh yeah, the box is terrible too! :evil:

It's a long model, the basic hull is nearly 42cm long.

The one sprue holding control planes, propeller, sail, all the stuff that goes on top of the sail and two Trident missiles.

Detail is not bad. The plastic on the hulls is a little grainy, a light rub with a real fine sanding stick smoothed it nicely.

Photo etch.

Decal sheet.

Last edited by Justin Wooding on 08 Jul 2017, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Justin Wooding

Re: Bronco 1/350 HMS Victorious S-29 SSBN

Post by Justin Wooding »

Test fitting the hull components, i didn't like the way the locating pins position the hull halves so i cut them all off. Using strips of styrene i made my own locating system. This allowed me some adjustment and also this is a good idea for those long lengths of plastic being butt jointed as it give a much stronger joint with the overlap.

A small (literally!) and only improvement was made at the crew door at the base of the sail. The kit sail and hull join runs right through the middle of the door and wasn't going to look good. I have seen some builds online and it is really obvious. So i deepened the the rectangular outline of the door and made a new door from styrene and glued it in. Looks much better and will look good under paint.

The fit of the hull halves was ok, being much better with the locating pins cut away, but i still ran a smear of filler over most of the join. The nose area lined up perfect and just needed a scrape with the knife. A couple of grades of sanding stick brought it to a nice smooth join. The two Trident D.5 missiles lay to the side.

This is all pretty straight forward. I started this last night and have spent about 6 or 7 hours on it so far, not including glue and filler drying time of course. Given a good smooth run, this could easily be a weekend build. Unfortunately, i don't get to commit that much time in one hit

I am really enjoying this! Image
Woody...

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

The Victorious is one of the biggest submarines in the world, but she still looks slim next to the giant Russian Typhoon class of Hunt for the Red October fame :geek:

Oh, and that's a sneak peek at what the next submarine build will be Image
Last edited by Justin Wooding on 08 Jul 2017, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Woody...

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Some photos from Google Images...

Woody...

Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Adam Durrant »

Looks good Woody. Have dabbled with subs in the past but each time they turn into shelf queens due to external pressures. Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Following with interest

Adam
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Wow! I didn't see that coming. Nice change of pace too. I like what you've done so far Woody. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Thanks Adam! :)
Adam Durrant wrote: due to external pressures.
I see what you did there :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woody...

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Vincent Power wrote:Wow! I didn't see that coming. Nice change of pace too. I like what you've done so far Woody. :)

Vincent
Thanks Vincent! :)

I didn't see it coming either till about a week ago :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woody...

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Very nice :D

I really like submarines...probably because they're similar to tanks...but climbing around U 995 as a 5 year old might have helped too :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Seriously big fish Woody :o

Always good to try something new ;)

Is it due for a base or the stand?

The beached submarine we all saw recently was a cracker :D