Sd.Kfz 222

2016 Armoured Car Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/16 - to 31/12/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Sd.Kfz 222

Post by Adam Durrant »

Armoured car group build seams like a good one to cut my teeth on. Have the Tamiya Sd.Kfz 222 in my stash, bought it as a "filler" on an order from Hannants (damn them telling you how much space you have left in your order before your shipping cost goes up!).

Research suggests the kit is still the 1975 kit, reboxed in 2003 with some pretty average photoetch thrown in for the grenade screens. The gun barrel is very nice. Ordered photoetch set from Eduard and resin storage set from Legend. Therefore, for the first time I'm going to attempt to,

A) work with resin
B) paint a figure
C) put it all in a vignette

Wish me luck!
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Sd.Kfz 222

Post by Philipp Gross »

Good luck! :D

The Tamiya kit is old but it should still look perfectly fine in the end, especially with all the extras you have planned. Trying something new can be daunting, I speak from experience :lol:

Don't hesitate to ask if you feel unsure about anything ;)

Looking forward to see it built! 8-)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

It is a nice little kit -- enjoy!
My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Nice project Adam! :D

Especially with Legend stowage and some minor Eduard etch (which I love for it's uncomplicated nature) it should turn out awesome :D !
I'd advice a RB barrel, though I have to admit I don't know the Tamiya kit, could have a perfectly nice barrel and you can always get a lot from the kit parts with great painting, so...nothing obligatory, just nice to have those, especially given the fact that they come relatively cheap ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Nice starter Adam :D

The Eduard can be a little tricky at times, it helps to scrape or file off the silver coating on the glue surface to give the super glue a chance :?
Surprisingly it will fight being superglued more often than not, I think the silver coating is a derivative of krytonite :lol:

The stowage looks cracking ;)

A figure too, good for you Adam :D

Look forward to seeing it all come together :D

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks guys, as Raoul said, I went for the Eduard as not quite as fiddly as the Aber sets. I've found the Eduard sets good for aircraft especially the preprinted cockpit sets. Gary has given me some soldering advice so keen to crack into that. Got myself a fiberglass pen so will scratch up the back of the PE before glueing.

Resin, two part epoxy to secure or superglue? Only ever used Brassin sets for aircraft wheels and they stick well with superglue.

Got a brass MG42 barrel coming as well as the kit one is pretty average.

Anyone know what the row of canisters/bottles are on the front fender? They are in pics but can't work out what they are.
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Anyone know what the row of canisters/bottles are on the front fender? They are in pics but can't work out what they are.
Those are Czech-made smoke emitters added after the "conquest" of Czechoslovakia since the Czech armaments industry had a lot to offer to the Wehrmacht of '38, not the least a fully tested, high quality tank in the LT vz. 38 (the 38 (t) ).
Sounds crazy for such a small country but remember that it had been until recently (in historical concepts of time that is) the chief arsenal of the K.u.K. empire ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks Raoul, thought they might be something like that!

As it is they will be left off as the jerry can rack in the ledgend set is very nice and will go there instead. ;)
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Adam Durrant wrote:Thanks guys, as Raoul said, I went for the Eduard as not quite as fiddly as the Aber sets. I've found the Eduard sets good for aircraft especially the preprinted cockpit sets. Gary has given me some soldering advice so keen to crack into that. Got myself a fiberglass pen so will scratch up the back of the PE before glueing.

Resin, two part epoxy to secure or superglue? Only ever used Brassin sets for aircraft wheels and they stick well with superglue.
I'm always happy to use Eduard as well, especially since I'm still terrified of soldering (or rather, setting the house on fire while soldering....). :? :lol:

As for resin...superglue will do just fine :)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Adam- Looking forward to see your build. I built the Afrika-Korps one that had the Motorcycle and figures. It was a fun build.

If you have any questions about painting the figures let me know. :D

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage