Sd.Kfz 222

2016 Armoured Car Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/16 - to 31/12/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Sd.Kfz 222

Post by Adam Durrant »

Coming along slowly. Painting of all the stowage is sucking up most of my time. 222 has had a couple of filters applied, gloss varnish and decals followed by a pin wash. Next step is to apply a bit of dust/dirt and grime.

Started on a little base inside a picture frame. This is my first foray into a vignette/diorama since I was 13 so be gentle! Used Das with various grades of railway ballast to start, stuck it all down at first with a wash of PVA but this was not strong enough so used Ammo's sand and gravel fixer which gave a much better result. I'll let this dry for several days then might try a few grass tufts and paint. Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated.

Next trial is going to be an attempt at figure painting :?
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Looking good already :)

An old model railway receipe is using white glue diluted with water and a few drops of liquid soap. This makes it flow into the gravel very easily. Make sure the wood in your base doesn't get too wet or else it might get damaged...speaking from experience :roll: It's too late for yours now, but coating the wood with clear lacquer before you add the groundwork usually helps.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Cheers Phil, forgot to laquer base, Das mixture was pretty dry but PVA/water mix will have got through to the base 8-)
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Despite the addition of a puppy to the household and the arrival of the Takom T-55 AMV kit I ordered, some progress has been made on the 222 build. The base for the vignette has dried and didn't warp or crack so received a coat of AK sand yellow and is drying.

The gun mount is all painted but needs a coat of satin varnish, the stowage is a work in progress and fiddly. Hope to have it all done by the end of August as my attention span is getting maxed out! I see Abteilung 502 has put its paints into "sets" and has a new website so have ordered the "flesh" set and will have a go at figure painting. ;)
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

It's coming to life nicely :D

I should have invested in one of these stowage sets too, it's making the whole thing look so much better.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote:It's coming to life nicely :D

I should have invested in one of these stowage sets too, it's making the whole thing look so much better.

Philipp
It's also covering up all the chipping I put so much hard work into!
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

It still looks very good Adam ;)

Good luck with the figures too ;)

Even the old Tamiya Pz II Herman wasn't too bad after some effort :roll:

Looking forward to seeing how oils turn out too

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Progress has been made this weekend, most of the stowage has been painted and applied and the anti grenade screens are on. Wheels have been attached and dusted up and the base is nearly done, just a few dried grass tufts to add when they turn up in the post. Hoping to get the 222 and base done by next weekend as this project is dragging a bit :(

Not happy with the wheels yet, I think they need another application of pigments. Need to add some gunmetal pigments to the armament and some of the exposed edges. This turned up on Friday as well;

So all going well might finally have a figure I'm happy to share! :D
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Looks very good Adam :D

The 502 set looks interesting, does it have a SBS in the pack?

I am curious to see how oils work for flesh, as its not something I have ever done :roll:

Sometimes sharing your "mistakes" can facilitate the answer to the issues you may have, ;)

I would like thing we are supportive enough for you to share even if you aren't 100% happy with your efforts ;)

I am certainly looking forward to seeing how a different system works for faces, but I guess you know it is
something of a Holy Grail for me, and I am still seeking the best answer :geek:

Great work on the base too, spot on, very desert looking :D

it does take much more than just builders sand ;)

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks Steve, no SBS in the pack but Gary B loaned me a book on figure painting and I'm using that and an AK book as a reference.

Also dabbling with acrylics for faces on the tanker that came with the M41 Walker Bulldog so jury still out as to weather I'll go oils or acrylics.
Completed Campaigns: