Tamiya Wespe

2017 Self-Propelled Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/17 - to 30/06/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Tamiya Wespe

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Lovely work on the figures Vincent :D

Shame they aren't available outside of the kit? as they are really good, "cold" poses ;)

What are the heads like?

Are you going with the zebra paint finish?

Great progress Vincent ;)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Vincent,

Looks good! I like the drilled out ammo storage, adds a bit of visual interest to the interior and suggests some earlier action. Some shell casings on the ground behind the vehicle? Now it's a cold wait for ammo resupply ;)

Very nice refining of the figures. The Tamiya plastic is hard to work with, it's a bit more brittle than Dragon stuff. Your work will really show with undercoat :) Are you replacing the heads or running with the kit ones?

The thing i notice with your kit too, is there are not enough crew. The Wespe had a crew of five.

My Japanese Type 1 works with a crew of five also, but only two are supplied in the kit :roll: Seeing as my vehicle will be in action, i need to source some more. I am going to adapt a figure into the drivers seat, only need a torso and arms. Not sure about the other two yet :?
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Bryan Krueger wrote:Nice work. I'm too intimidated by open tops to want to tackle them.
Thanks Bryan. With your level of skill you have no need to be worried ;)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Philipp Gross wrote:Excellent work :D Will you add a few more extra pieces to the inside walls?

Philipp
Thanks Philipp. :) I think I'll leave it as is. I know it's too bare but I'm hoping the overall look will distract the viwer from noticing. ;)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Adam Durrant wrote:
Bryan Krueger wrote:Nice work. I'm too intimidated by open tops to want to tackle them.
I'm with you Bryan, I have a similar fear of kits with interior provided after I built one and overspray bled through my masking and I had to do touch-ups through the hatches :?

The figures are looking good!

Adam
Thanks Adam. :) I'm hoping the paint stage doesn't give me any problems like you had. :roll: I'm happy with the figures so far too.

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Steve Hutchinson wrote:Lovely work on the figures Vincent :D
Shame they aren't available outside of the kit? as they are really good, "cold" poses ;)
What are the heads like?
Are you going with the zebra paint finish?
Great progress Vincent ;)
Steve H
Thanks Steve. :) I'm just following my nose on the figures so far, remembering bits and pieces of what Vinnie said to do. The poses are good aren't they? They sure look cold to me. The kit heads are ok I guess but I've ordered some Hornet replacements anyway, which I hope I don't stuff up. :?
I'm not sure I can pull off the Zebra camo so mine may just be a generic winter finish. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Justin Wooding wrote:Hi Vincent,

Looks good! I like the drilled out ammo storage, adds a bit of visual interest to the interior and suggests some earlier action. Some shell casings on the ground behind the vehicle? Now it's a cold wait for ammo resupply ;)

Very nice refining of the figures. The Tamiya plastic is hard to work with, it's a bit more brittle than Dragon stuff. Your work will really show with undercoat :) Are you replacing the heads or running with the kit ones?

The thing i notice with your kit too, is there are not enough crew. The Wespe had a crew of five.

My Japanese Type 1 works with a crew of five also, but only two are supplied in the kit :roll: Seeing as my vehicle will be in action, i need to source some more. I am going to adapt a figure into the drivers seat, only need a torso and arms. Not sure about the other two yet :?
Thanks Woody. :) My initial thoughts on what to do with the Wespe was exactly what you describe. Can I find any shell casings for this gun?.....no!
New strategy perhaps, we'll see.
I am getting some Hornet heads from BnA which should turn up soon. I love their quick service! :D
The lack of a crew is an issue but as I haven't planned an "action" scene I think I can get away with just the two I have. Unless I decide to change it all up of course :lol:

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Vincent Power wrote: Thanks Philipp. :) I think I'll leave it as is. I know it's too bare but I'm hoping the overall look will distract the viwer from noticing. ;)

Vincent
If you manage to stuff it with a full crew I'm sure nobody will see anything of the walls anyway :mrgreen:

I have one extra planned for mine and it's a tight fit, to say the least.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Philipp Gross wrote:
Vincent Power wrote: Thanks Philipp. :) I think I'll leave it as is. I know it's too bare but I'm hoping the overall look will distract the viwer from noticing. ;)

Vincent
If you manage to stuff it with a full crew I'm sure nobody will see anything of the walls anyway :mrgreen:

I have one extra planned for mine and it's a tight fit, to say the least.

Philipp
I'm surprised another figure will fit. It'd have to be a skinny one :lol:

Vincent
Completed Campaigns: