Tamiya JSU-152

2017 Self-Propelled Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/17 - to 30/06/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Tamiya JSU-152

Post by Adam Durrant »

The late war version of Philipp's submission to this GB thread, I've had this sitting in the stash for a while now. I've got a real mental block on he Paladin build so it's been shelved for the moment. With the Hetzer and Vickers builds just needing a few brush strokes to finish (and me to get my A into G to take photos) I've decided to start this one.

Not a lot in the box compared to the Paladin so should be a quick build. I've replaced the barrel and mantlet with an aftermarket Orange Hobby offering. I've also got a set of basic PE from the same maker on the way from Hong Kong. Have become enthused about PE and soldering after catching up with Gary yesterday and having a bit of tutoring on soldering. I learned more in one hour with him (soldering, making hinges) than countless hours on the net! :D

So, as the oils dry on my commander figure for the Vickers I'm going to get underway gluing plastic in between finishing the other projects....
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Tamiya JSU-152

Post by Philipp Gross »

Sorry to hear about the issue with the Paladin...this one's certainly a nice choice, and since it's Tamiya I'm sure it'll be a faster build than my kit :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Yup, so far first impressions of the kit have been good. The running gear is all done, minimal clean up needed on the parts and they all fit perfectly. There is a wee jig supplied to make sure all the torsion bar arms line up properly but you could just use a straight edge to do the same and the reality is that there is little to no play once they are all glued in place.

The "wave jig" is the allow you to glue all the top run of track together with the correct sag. Problem is that the instructions would have you running the left and right tracks in opposite directions. Only realized this later but still had time to manually adjust the sag as the slow setting glue was still soft. Disaster averted :D

The brass barrel from Orange Hobby is nice. The replacement mantlet is not a huge improvement over the kit one but is designed to use with the turned barrel so will probably use it.

The Orange Hobby PE set is a bit of a bust. Provides a nice set of turned gun cleaning rods and an aerial and base but the rest of the set provides some odd choices. Replacement engine grills, but the kit PE is better, 3 x pistol ports which have complex internal detail you won't see. Missing are all the stuff you might expect such as external fuel cells or tool clasps. Oh well, sigh, it wasn't expensive and this was meant to be an OOB build!
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Progress made this weekend, most of the superstructure is now done including removing some sections of the fenders and banging up the remaining sections. You can't see it in the photos but I've wired the formation/convoy lights with fine fuse wire.

The Orange Hobby barrel is superb. The machine tolerances are so tight that the pieces almost press fit together. I was going to solder it but a dab of CA was all that was required.

Off to Aus for a conference on Wed so won't be doing any more building till I get back. Can't do much more at the moment anyway as I'm still awaiting delivery of the PE set.
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

You've just got to love a metal barrel of that size :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote:You've just got to love a metal barrel of that size :mrgreen:

Philipp
It is freakin' heavy! The wee poly caps that hold the elevation axis cannot handle the weight so I'll have to glue it in a fixed position!
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Someone should build one with a working gun mechanism inside :twisted:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

I would hate to be on the receiving end of that gun. :o :o

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Shawn Ramsey wrote:I would hate to be on the receiving end of that gun. :o :o

Shawn
Some great pics on the net of German armour destroyed not by penetration of the rounds, but the shear impact has torn chunks out of them! I've got one (link not easily to hand) showing the whole rear half of a Panther turret torn off :o
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Legend has it that sometimes the whole turret was torn off by impact force alone... :shock:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns: