British Light Tank Mk VIB (Nth Africa)

2017 Light Tanks Group Build. Campaign runs from 10/02/17 - to 30/06/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: British Light Tank Mk VIB (Nth Africa)

Post by Adam Durrant »

Kit has finally arrived after a series of courier redirects.

So much for a quick build, it may be a tiny tank but it has the same number of parts as a large tank build, just smaller. The suspension alone is going to be a pain, 4 types of tiny metal springs and a whole heap of brass rods in each.

Think I need to get the Hetzer build off the bench first.....
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

OK, we are off on this one. First impressions of the kit, the plastic is brittle and the rivet detail is very subtle and could be lost with too many layers of paint. There are a lot of parts including two PE frets and a bag of springs and brass rod for the suspension. There are also some clear parts for the headlights, lamps and spotlight. Tracks are link and length and look well formed and detailed. There is a fair amount of flash on the parts but overall this is a nice little kit.

The instruction sheet is in 16 steps, a little confusing, but with some attention they shouldn't prove too hard to follow. Markings for two tanks are included, but the colour scheme is the same for both, the "Caunter" scheme.

The kit;

One nights work was enough to complete the hull minus running gear. The fit of the parts is excellent, the PE is very easy to fold and Tamiya thin cement works well. Despite being a "boutique" kit manufacturer Vulcans fit rivals that of a Tamiya "shake and bake".

Busy few weeks coming up at work but hoping to knock this one out to primer stage within the fortnight :D
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

I'm glad you finally got to start this one Adam and nice progress so far too. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Looks good so far :)

I hope they release a few more versions, the Germans built a number of weird little things on this chassis...

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Philipp Gross wrote: I hope they release a few more versions, the Germans built a number of weird little things on this chassis...
Philipp
You could always scratch or kit bash ;)

Great start and good to know that the kit is a good one.

Lets see what the next 2 weeks bring ;)

Go Adam Go

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Looking forward to the build Adam. Nice start.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Steve Hutchinson wrote:
Philipp Gross wrote: I hope they release a few more versions, the Germans built a number of weird little things on this chassis...
Philipp
You could always scratch or kit bash ;)
Regrettably there's no 10.5 cm leFH 16 on the market yet, otherwise this would be a lot easier:

In the meantime, a Munitionspanzer or a Beobachtungspanzer might be easier options :geek:

(if I go and order one of these now I know who's to blame :P :lol: )

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Could this help :?:

""One of the easiest ways of telling the difference between a 10.5cm leFH 16 (Sf.) auf Geschutzwagen FCM 36H(f) self-propelled gun and a 7.5cm PaK 40 (Sf.) auf PzKpfw FCM 36(f) anti tank gun SPG is to look at the armored housing that surrounds the gun’s recoil recuperator mechanisms. A recuperator on an artillery gun is a device employing springs or pneumatic power to return a gun to the firing position after the recoil. On the 10.5cm leFH 16 it is long and is half the length of the gun. It is situated below the gun. The armored housing covering the 7.5cm Pak 40 gun’s recoil recuperator mechanisms is small and the gun barrel is thinner and much longer.""

Enough said

Sorry Adam

Have a go, Philipp 8-)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

I think two weeks may be optimistic now, took a chunk of time tonight to sort all the springs and wires into piles (the springs are only minutely different lengths) and turn this;

into this;

Sorry about the pics, after all the work on these two I couldn't be bothered getting my camera out so the cell phone will have to do!

There are 8 springs per bogie. They offer a plastic alternative to the brass rod but it is flimsy and I suspect would fail. To use the brass rod you have to drill out and then shave castle nuts off their backing and then glue them on either end. This is easier said than done when the spring tension is on!

The final assemblies are beautifully articulated and fully functional, pity the track is link and length so you will never take advantage of it unless you by aftermarket workable tracks. There are sets for the universal carrier, but all my local stockists are sold out, and for the price I'm happy for the tank to sit on flat ground!

It should be noted that the kit provides plastic or PE alternatives for a number of assemblies, so depending on your experience level you have options. I'll use the PE, but mainly because the plastic parts are pretty average in comparison. :D

Anyway, two more bogies to make :?
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Kubik

Post by Steve Kubik »

Adam Durrant wrote:I think two weeks may be optimistic now, took a chunk of time tonight to sort all the springs and wires into piles (the springs are only minutely different lengths) and turn this;

All I can see from those instructions is major headache. You have my sympathies
Steve Kubik