British Light Tank Mk VIB (Nth Africa)

2017 Light Tanks Group Build. Campaign runs from 10/02/17 - to 30/06/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: British Light Tank Mk VIB (Nth Africa)

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Very nice Adam :D

Very nice indeed ;)

Looking forward to the next update

regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

As of the end of the weekend this is where I'm at;

Managed to get all the decals on and a coat of satin varnish over the top. Hatches are on, some of the details are now painted and the tracks are on.

The tracks are crap! They would have been better to have provided a set of rubber band tracks.

The commander figure is from the Tamiya Matilda III/IV kit. He's pretty good, and because he's sitting on the coaming of the hatch I don't have to worry about squeezing him in through the tight opening. He also has the appropriate pose!

I've used watered down PVA on the base to make sure the gravel and pebbles don't come loose. Once all of it has had a chance to set I'll start paint. Still not sure what to do with the washout, it hasn't come out how I wanted and I might paint it to make it blend in a bit better.

Any thoughts?

Adam
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Great looking base :D

I'd suggest covering everything in some light ochre pigments, maybe with a few darker spots in recessed areas?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote:Great looking base :D

I'd suggest covering everything in some light ochre pigments, maybe with a few darker spots in recessed areas?

Philipp
Got to agree, I've got some "North African Dust" pigment from Mig and was going to apply liberally after a wash and a bit of paint to the rocks and track.

I think it would be a mistake to think of the AK Interactive Diorama pastes as a "quick fix", they are nice, and the texture is great, but the colour is uniform and needs work.

Adam
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Tank has had a filter, pin wash and then OPR. Apart from some stowage I'm almost done on the vehicle.

The base has had some vegetation added and a wash. Added some pigments to blur the transitions between track and desert and washout and desert. Will do a bit more once the vehicle is attached to the base to blend them together.

I'm going to bolt the vehicle to the base. The suspension is workable and the track has some flex so I should be able to "compress" the model into the base to give it weight. I found this in one of Shep Paynes books.

Figure is not far away, I'm working in oils so it's taking a while! :shock:
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Outstanding work Adam :D

I wonder whose idea was the humongous searchlight :shock: :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

The search light would make you a great target at night! Most reference photos show just the bracket or the whole lot totally absent. I ran with it as it is a nice point of difference. The whole Mk IV was renowned for being too heavy and rolling over on steep inclines. Found a reference photo of one standing on its nose under heavy braking which must have been exciting for the crew :D
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Great work on the paint scheme. You did you like the AK paint? The base really looks good to.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

The AK paint set was great but nothing would stick to them so to mask each new camo colour I had to give the model a quick coat of future, mask and paint. Then repeat, three times!
Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

If you could call a tank cute, then this would be a good time :lol:

Excellent work Adam. To prevent it looking as if it's 'floating' on the base due to the rigidity of the link and length tracks, you could add some ground sand/stones etc by pushing them in under the tracks. Will look more like it's sitting on the graound rather than above it if you know what I mean?

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....