Egyptian Army IS-3m Heavy Tank

2022 Middle East Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/07/22 - to 31/12/22. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Egyptian Army IS-3m Heavy Tank

Post by Philipp Gross »

Hi gents,

here's my entry:

Egypt was the only export customer of the Soviet IS-3 heavy tank. According to one source, they had about 100 in service, which saw action in the 1967 Six Day War against Israel....with minimal success. As far as I know, this was the only combat deployment of the IS-3....until 2014, when pro-Russian separatists in Eastern Ukraine managed to start a memorial tank and drive it around for a while...

I'm using the Trumpeter kit, which is one of their earlier efforts, but generally decent. Tamiya's IS-3 is unsuitable for my purpose because it represents the original 1945 Red Army version. As built, the IS-3 suffered from many flaws, and thus all tanks were soon recalled for a factory overhaul, which resulted in the IS-3m.

Yep, that's all.

After the T-26 debacle I'm really hoping to keep things simple this time. I'm aware of a few smaller details I need to add, like the external fuel tank plumbing.

Besides the Miniart figures, I'll be using this decal sheet, which I still need to order:

But yeah, that's all the aftermarket for now. And it better stays that way :lol:

I'm finishing up some shelf queens before I get started properly. See you soon? ;)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage