Panzer 1A

2017 Light Tanks Group Build. Campaign runs from 10/02/17 - to 30/06/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Panzer 1A

Post by Vincent Power »

Steve Hutchinson wrote:Hi Vincent

Mario Eens did a DVD in the MMX range on different camo and AB combinations

DVD - Airbrushing Camouflage Patterns with Mario Eens

To cut a long story short, hand paint the edges of the camo and fill in with the AB.

I did mine all by hand, but did use the suggestion to draw the camo onto a plan, so I knew what I was trying to do :roll:

HTH's?

Steve H
Thanks Steve, that DVD looks very helpful. :) I'll keep an eye out for it. My airbrush is also not playing fair at the moment so until I sort that out my little Panzer will have to be patient. ;)

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

I've made some progress on my Panzer 1A. I know, I'm as shocked as you are :shock:
It took a while but I finally settled on the inter-war three colour scheme. To be honest I'm not convinced by the colours but if you think I'm going to repaint this tiny thing again any time soon you are very much mistaken my friends :lol:
painted.jpg
painted.jpg (79.4 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
painted2.jpg
painted2.jpg (79.46 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
painted3.jpg
painted3.jpg (76.78 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
painted4.jpg
painted4.jpg (72.13 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
painted5.jpg
painted5.jpg (77.32 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Obviously, from the pics, you can see I haven't fitted the tracks yet, or the front and rear track guards or painted the headlight. :roll: The magic tracks supplied with the kit scare me so I think I might order some metal ones which should be way easier to assemble and fit. ;) Once they are on I can finish off the weathering which should tie the whole thing together.

That's all for now. I am pretty sure the next update won't take 5 years. :lol:

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Superb paintwork Vincent

Well done, and it certainly doesn't need repainting

The interwar scheme is "odd" but a little of your skilled weathering should calm down what you perceive to be a little bright/busy?

I'm looking forward to your progress and the metal tracks too.

I have several alternatives but have always just plugged away at the magic tracks.

I have "saved" the Fruil tracks along with enough Photo etch and resin to build a full Pz IA except for the wheels.

Another retirement project one I have knocked the rust of my micro soldering kit and skills!

Enjoy the weathering, it should be another stunner

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Vincent, that has to be the best Reichswehr camo I've ever seen! :shock: :shock: :shock: Seriously, you've set the gold standard! :D

What paints did you use? How did you brush them?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Beautiful paint job Vincent :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Steve Hutchinson wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 16:27 Superb paintwork Vincent
Well done, and it certainly doesn't need repainting
The interwar scheme is "odd" but a little of your skilled weathering should calm down what you perceive to be a little bright/busy?
I'm looking forward to your progress and the metal tracks too.
I have several alternatives but have always just plugged away at the magic tracks.
I have "saved" the Fruil tracks along with enough Photo etch and resin to build a full Pz IA except for the wheels.
Another retirement project one I have knocked the rust of my micro soldering kit and skills!
Enjoy the weathering, it should be another stunner
Regards
Steve H
Thanks, Steve. :) To be honest I should have fitted the Magic Tracks before I put the hull together and painted them at the end. So I have sort of forced myself into a corner. :roll: Anyway, I'm sure the metal ones will come out a treat.

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Philipp Gross wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 23:30 Vincent, that has to be the best Reichswehr camo I've ever seen! :shock: :shock: :shock: Seriously, you've set the gold standard! :D
What paints did you use? How did you brush them?
Philipp
Thanks for the kind words Philipp. :) I used this set from Mig.
Mig paints.jpg
Mig paints.jpg (62.28 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
It's probably not strictly accurate but when I bought it 5 years ago it seemed like a good idea. :lol:
I added several thin layers of each colour by brush until they looked ok to my eye. Keeping the paint thin enough was made easier by adding Mig Transparator to the mix. I find this makes the paint flow much better. For the first layer I used a ratio of 1:1 then wound it back for each subsequent layer.
Hope that helps :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Adam Durrant wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 08:50 Beautiful paint job Vincent :D
Thanks Adam, I'm glad you like it. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

The paint is amazing.

Don't be afraid of Magic tracks. They are some of my favorite tracks. I just take a piece of wood or other straight edge and place some tape sticky side up on your work bench. Put the magic tracks together and then apply a coat of Tamyia thin cement on them. Let them sit for 15-20 min then you can bend them around the road wheels. I have never had a single problem doing it this way. You may just have to remove the drive sprocket to get the tracks in place.

I like magic Tracks so much when Dragon stopped including them in their kits I bought very few of their tracked vehicles.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Shawn Ramsey wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 19:24 The paint is amazing.

Don't be afraid of Magic tracks. They are some of my favorite tracks. I just take a piece of wood or other straight edge and place some tape sticky side up on your work bench. Put the magic tracks together and then apply a coat of Tamyia thin cement on them. Let them sit for 15-20 min then you can bend them around the road wheels. I have never had a single problem doing it this way. You may just have to remove the drive sprocket to get the tracks in place.

I like magic Tracks so much when Dragon stopped including them in their kits I bought very few of their tracked vehicles.

Shawn
Thanks for the tip with the tracks Shawn. :) I'll give it a go

Vincent
Completed Campaigns: